Facts about Burglary, Property Crimes, and Home Security Alarms
- Each year in the United States, a burglary occurs every 12 seconds. There are an estimated 2,329,950 annual burglaries nationwide, with an annual loss by victims of approximately $3.1 billion. This year, one in six homes will be burglarized. Burglars will spend no longer than 1 minute to break into a home.
- GA – Populations 9,685,744 burglary 100,629.
- Most burglaries occur during the day between 6am and 6pm. 60% of residential burglaries occur during the daylight hours.
- The average residential burglary victim lost $1,991.
- In more than a third of all burglaries, the burglar enters the front door (and most of the time does so forcefully).
- Homes without a monitored security alarm system are 3 times more likely to be burglarized or robbed than those with a monitored home security system. Homes without security systems are 2.7 times more likely to be targeted by a burglar.
- There is sufficient evidence to show that in the past, when the economy has suffered, burglary and property crime has increased in parallel.